Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Who am I?

It is raining outside, and raindrops close to road lamps are looking beautiful. Despite all noise due to rain, a different kind of serenity is spread in the atmosphere. July is the month of rain I know but this year it is raining very heavily. I am sitting on an easy chair and looking at the road, few people are running to a direction covering themselves with polythene sheets; must be they are running to their home. Thunder noise of clouds is audible after an irregular interval. This time it was loud rather very loud with a flash like 100 halogen lamps have been switched on together. Flash was of so high intensity that I could see me in the mirror keeping all the lights switched off. Again a deep silence is all around; rain does not seem to stop today night. I am feeling bit hungry but I don’t want to call any one to give me something nor I want to get it myself. I am hypnotized with the environment so much that I am feeling like I am glued with the chair. In fact, I am sitting alone and enjoying this loneliness with looking at the raindrops.

I can see a car coming towards me. Its light beam is very intense and hitting my face and eyes. For a moment it spoiled the environment and I am wondering can these people not drive at low beam unless if it is required. The car passed by, and again I am in the same environment that I want being in for last two hours without expecting any disturbance of any kind. I started looking at the street lampposts; raindrops are looking stronger this time and hitting the ground with more intensity. The noise due to raindrops is gradually coming on high node. I am continuous staring to a lamppost without knowing what I am looking at, what I am trying to find. But such moments are very rare in one’s life when the person is sitting and thinking noting or the mind doesn’t allow thinking about anything; I am in the same situation right now. After a long long time, I am sitting and not thinking for work or the issues running in life. I am feeling blank at the moment, as I have nothing to worry about. It seems to me that all my worries have been dissolved in rain.

Watch is showing 11:20 pm. I am hungry a bit but not intended to have any thing. A tea can be helpful but skipping the idea of having tea. Time to sleep man. I stand up and going to my bedroom slowly. It is almost dark in the bedroom but I don’t want to switch the light on. Darkness is creating a cozy environment; I want to go with it. I carefully go to bed and sit thinking for tomorrow. I just remove my shoes, and lying on the bed. My eyes are getting closed. I am loosing my sense temporarily. Gradually, I am going deeper and deeper.

Beep Beep…Beep Beep. Ahh, my alarm clock is screaming, I wake up and switch the light on. I am trying looking at the clock but still not able to see the time due to haze in my eyes. I rubbed my eyes twice and looked at the clock again but still clock hands are not clear. Numbers are almost invisible. Oh, how could I forget I have started wearing specs? My hands are searching the specs on the table; I put the specs on my nose and saw the time. Wake up man it is 6:30 am and you are getting late for office, I am murmuring. I put the slippers and rushing toward the bathroom, on the way I looked at the mirror, and stopped. I yelled, is this I. A man with white eyebrows & hairs, wrinkled forehead, weak eyes, and squeezed cheeks. I am looking at my hand and my hands are full of wrinkles and white hairs. I am stunned and looking around, and stuck on the calendar. This was showing July 10, 2046. I am going to be 66 after 5 days. I am returning slowly to the bed and sit upon. I am trying to recall the recent things. The words I could recall are, “Mr Shah, was associated with the organization for last 10 years, and he gave his best to the organization during his tenure. Today is his last day in the organization. We all wish him….”.

Yesterday, after the farewell, I drove back home directly. It was raining heavily. I parked my car and sat on my easy chair, and started watching the raindrops….

3 comments:

  1. Sir, u could have used the date near to July 2041 as 60 is the age of retirement.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. sir....u could have used the date near to July 2040 as 60 is the age of retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dear friend,I am not doing Govt Job that I will retire in 60. In most of the organizations poeple aging 61-68 are working as a consultant. I have written this post keeping in my mind that I will be working as a consultant in my later age. Hope, this will quench your anxiety.

    ReplyDelete